Australasian Science: Australia's authority on science since 1938

Articles related to reproduction

Feature: The Evolving Story of Heredity
Biologists are discovering that there is a lot more to heredity than genes. In the latest twist, it turns out that offspring size in an Australian fly species can be determined by the diet of its mother’s previous mating partner.
Browse: What Women Want in a Sperm Donor
An adult female green turtle returning to the sea after nesting. T. Franc
Feature: Mother Knows Best
Why do turtles lay eggs when their close relatives evolved live birth? A study of their reproductive physiology reveals how egg-laying improves the survival prospects of hatchlings.
Browse: Males Make Fast Sperm for Sisters
Browse: Scientists Produce a Hit Love Song for Toads Browse: Eggs Lure the Right Sperm
The survival of mussel larvae is affected by chemical signals emitted from the females’ eggs, according to a study published in the Proceedings of The Royal Society B.
Cover Story: Why Are Males More at Risk in the Womb?
Subtle changes in the placenta before a child’s birth can affect its predisposition to chronic disease and premature death many years later – and unborn boys are most vulnerable.
Sea squirt
Feature: What Speed Sperm Should a Sea Squirt Squirt?
Sea squirt sperm is revealing how a male’s environment affects his sperm’s quality, with implications for the health of offspring that could also improve the success of human IVF procedures.
A large female golden orb-web spider
Feature: Along Came a Spider
The comparative size and weight of two animals determines the outcome of 80% of fights. Now a small spider has revealed the physiological factors that help explain the other 20% of contests.
Browse: Size Matters for Sexually Deceptive Orchids
Browse: The Role of Promiscuous Females in Evolution
Credit: nobeastsofierce
Cover Story: Should Australia Allow Mitochondrial Donation?
Is there any ethical reason why legislation should prevent the use of donor mitochondria in cases where children are likely to inherit mitochondrial disease from their mothers?
Feature: A Reproductive Riddle
They look cute and even like to cuddle, but what do the small testes and spikey penis of the spinifex hopping mouse tell us about their ability to survive and thrive between periods of drought and flooding rain?
Credit: Eric Isselée/adobe
Feature: Why Are Bigger Offspring Better?
Bigger offspring have greater energy needs, so why do they survive and reproduce more successfully than their smaller siblings?
Browse: What women want: the ‘ex-factor’ Browse: Sex Discrimination in the Womb
Browse: Male Seahorse and Human Pregnancies Are Alike Browse: Frozen Embryos Beat Fresh Ones for IVF
Browse: No Long-Term Health Effects from Assisted Reproduction Eureka!: Strange experiments and research findings
Facebook Boosting Grey Matter
Eureka!: Costly Copulation
Wasps and bats upsize their meals when they catch prey that are in the act of mating.
Quandary: Contraception by WiFi
How secure is an implantable chip that enables birth control to be switched on and off with a mobile phone?
Quandary: The Science of Persuasion
How did scientists win the public relations war to persuade British Parliament to approve the creation of three-parent babies?
Up Close: Sexing the wallaby: Marsupial reproduction and what it says about us
Biologist Prof Geoff Shaw discusses research into the reproductive cycle of Australia’s Tammar Wallaby, how it contributes to our understanding of developmental biology, and the insights it provides into sex determination in humans.
Up Close: Pregnancy 2.0: The lingering effects of modern reproductive technologies
Reproductive biologist Dr Mark Green discusses early embryo development and how a range of environmental factors such as IVF, nutrition and chemicals can have lasting effects on health of the organism.
Up Close: The baby makers: The science behind healthier embryos and better IVF
Reproductive biologist Professor David Gardner explains what we're still learning about healthy embryo development, how it's being applied to improve IVF technologies, and the unexpected insights it may offer into how cells implant themselves and proliferate, including how cancers take hold.
Odd Spot: Bad dads have big balls
Men’s testes size negatively tied to parenting involvement.
Online Feature: Sugar is toxic to mice in 'safe' doses
Three soft drinks daily affect lifespan, reproduction
Browse: Social Cues Shape Genitals