Australasian Science: Australia's authority on science since 1938

Budget a win for climate change deniers

By FASTS

FASTS responds to the Federal Budget

Delayed action on climate change flies in the face of peer‐reviewed science that shows human‐induced climate change is threatening our future and urgent action is required, says the Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies [FASTS].

“Tonight’s Federal Budget is a victory for those people with their head in the sand on climate change – the Opposition and The Greens who voted against an Emissions Trading Scheme,” said Anna‐Maria Arabia, Executive Director of FASTS.

“The climate change debate has elevated science into everyday conversation from the kitchen table right through to the boardroom and voters have made it abundantly clear that they want action now, not in three years time.

“While initiatives such as the Renewable Energy Future Fund and energy efficiency programs are commendable, the Rudd Government must immediately and clearly outline its plans for the next three years to reduce greenhouse gas emissions,” Ms Arabia said.

However, in a tough economic environment FASTS is pleased to see the government honour its commitment to research and innovation through the continued funding of Powering Ideas. “This ten‐year reform agenda is important to support long term productivity growth and assist the Budget return to surplus,” Ms Arabia added.

Before the next election, FASTS calls on the government to implement the recommendations in Inspiring Australia – a National Strategy for Engagement with the Sciences.

“Science is essential for our prosperity, our environment, our health, our security, and our quality of life. Investment in science communication and advocacy is more essential than ever to inspire young people to choose science as a career.”

FASTS is also concerned by 129 job cuts at CSIRO given the importance of maintaining Australia’s research capability and competitiveness.

In addition, there does not appear to be ongoing funding for the International Science Linkages Program. Australia produces 2 per cent of the world’s research, so it is important we support initiatives that tap into the remaining 98 per cent of knowledge.